You are not logged in.

Unanswered posts

Important! This site has been replaced. All content here is read-only. Please visit our brand-new community at https://community.talend.com/. We look forward to hearing from you there!

#1 2011-09-23 03:04:26

c0utta
139 posts

c0utta said:

Talend Architecture

Note: I couldn't find the right forum to post this, so I decided to put it into MDM in the first instance.  I'd never cross post!

I've been using Talend Open Studio successfully for a number of years, deploying to an Ubuntu virtual machine but developing on Windows.  This has worked quite well, considering my employer runs mostly a Windows shop for servers.

Recently I've been looking at MDM and ESB as a long term strategy and have read a great deal of the provided documentation and webinars.  Despite all the presentations displaying how data management and application integration are coupled together, I believe this is harder to achieve than we are led to believe.  I believe this is because there is a lack of direction in regards to architecture and infrastructure required to support data initiatives.  It could also be symptom of Open Source technologies that leave this decision making up to the user.

I'm sure that I'm representative of many SMEs that have a small IT team (in my case I AM the IT team).  We don't have access to a system architect who makes these architectural and infrastructure decisions in a large corporate environment, so I try and make decisions with the limited amount of knowledge that I've got.  My organisation is risk adverse, because whilst we don't mind spending money when there's good value, we won't throw money away on a whim.

For example, my goals are:
- create a "data hub" for enterprise data definitions
    - access to the definitions via web services
    - workflow so data changes are routed for modification and/or approval
    - update multiple systems either via direct database or web services
- use an ESB to coordinate changes to multiple systems
    - move the current TOS jobs over to ESB
    - enable services on other systems to utilise the ESB to send/receive requests
- load requirements are not large, so the possibility to run all services on one virtual machine
- design and construct on Windows but deploy to server
- implement a business process solution, such as Bonita

I know that this is possible with the Talend suite, but my questions surround the architecture to support this:
- can I use one server?
- if so, what flavour (Windows/Linux)?
- what application server?  JBoss, Tomcat?
- since MDM requires JBoss (and I'm aiming for one server) is this the application server I should use?
- MDM requires an eXist database - why?  Why can't I use Oracle, MySQL or SQL Server (I have access to all of these)
- what is the best model to construct on Windows and deploy to the server?

It sounds like I need a systems architect who has experience in the Talend suite of products - is this something that Talend provides as a contract service?

Or, am I (unfortunately) destined to implement less superior tools from a software vendor just because these architectural decisions are beyond my reach and level of expertise?

Interested in everyone's thoughts on this topic.

Cheers,

c0utta

#2 2011-09-27 14:55:20

csonnefraud
Talend Team

csonnefraud said:

Re: Talend Architecture

Hi c0utta,

- can I use one server?

Yes, you can use only one server to make the whole suite work. But depending on your business needs/requirements/hardware, it may be good to isolate some parts depending on your context (eg. DI on one server, MDM on another).

- if so, what flavour (Windows/Linux)?

Talend MDM works both on Windows, Linux, 32/64bits... It's up to you, and I'd add that it depends on what OS you prefer to admin. The requirement is a JDK 1.5+ (1.6 being highly recommanded). Have a quick look here : http://www.talend.com/support-info/instal.php

- what application server?  JBoss, Tomcat?

If you're aiming for only one server, then you can install the whole platform on a single Jboss 4.2.2-GA (that is the AS required for MDM to run).

- MDM requires an eXist database - why?  Why can't I use Oracle, MySQL or SQL Server (I have access to all of these)

Indeed, MDM CE embbeds an eXist database. This is a native XML database, that enables the persistance of our Active Data Model.

- what is the best model to construct on Windows and deploy to the server?

This is where Talend Professional Services can bring you some help. This is typically some expertise we provide as a contract service. I suggest that you look at this page : http://www.talend.com/services/expertise.php

Regards,

Cyril.

Last edited by csonnefraud (2011-09-27 14:56:24)

#3 2011-09-28 06:23:52

c0utta
139 posts

c0utta said:

Re: Talend Architecture

Hi Cyril,

Thanks so much for your response.  I'll do some more research and then contact Professional Services.

Cheers,

c0utta

Board footer

Talend Contributor Agreement - Talend Website Privacy Policy