You are not logged in.

Unanswered posts

Important! This site has been replaced. All content here is read-only. Please visit our brand-new community at https://community.talend.com/. We look forward to hearing from you there!

#1 2008-05-27 09:27:12

Caro
31 posts

Caro said:

How many downloads of TOS ?

Tags: [download, tos, user]

Hi,

I would like to know how many users of TOS you estimate and how many downloads of TOS you have ?

Thanks,

Caro

Last edited by Caro (2008-05-27 09:27:28)

#2 2008-05-27 10:55:23

yvesm
Talend Team

yvesm said:

Re: How many downloads of TOS ?

Total "lifetime" downloads are at 1.2 million.  This includes TOS binaries, source code, doc, tutorials, upgrades, etc.
The number of unique downloads of TOS (we call this number "core product downloads") is 250,000.  Out of these 250,000 unique downloads, 30% of the users get the upgrades: this allows us to estimate the actual number of users of TOS to approximately 75,000.
Hope this helps!

YvesM

#3 2008-06-10 12:07:52

johnny

johnny said:

75.000 and how many of those are directly paying for Talend (the TIS solution)?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely like Talend (I also like Kettle and clover) but I do have a hunch that the ETL/BI market is rather a niche market in which the companies willing to pay for it is smallish. DataStage (under Ascential) e.g. had about 8.000 to 10.000 seats tops as estimated from the revenue they booked (in 2004 when IBM bought it), and they were market leader.

So I'm still wondering how commercial companies can survive with such numbers unless the prices are enormously high (and customers are willing to pay the sum), e.g. 200K USD for a basic DataStage installation on 4 cpu's

#4 2008-06-11 09:20:16

yvesm
Talend Team

yvesm said:

Johnny - thanks for the post.  You are correct with regards to the non-open-source data integration market, it isn't so big.  Informatica only has 3000 customers after all.  But it's a fast growing market, according to all analyst firms.  Now, look at the overall data integration market: tools, services, hardware, etc.  A reputable US analyst firms evaluates it at US$ 13 billion.  Not too bad :-)

The reason why proprietary vendors have "only" sold to a few thousands clients is that their prices are crazy.  As you said, $200k for a basic system.  The vast majority of organizations can't afford this, and these who can will restrict their deployments to the bare minimum.
Open source changes this equation, and allows us to tap into this vast market, currently under-served by the expensive proprietary vendors.

Also, don't forget that data integration is not just about ETL for BI.  It is also about operational data integration: data movement and transformation between operational databases and applications.  And this is a much broader market than ETL for BI.

So don't worry, Talend is in there for the long run...

YvesM

#5 2008-06-14 11:38:27

Johnny

Johnny said:

Most open reply I ever received from a vendor big_smile

But not answering my original question... can we have an idea of how many TIS subscriptions Talend currently has ... doesn't need to be exact. I expect it to be less than 75.000, and probably less than 3000.

I've been discussing growth with several people in the industry. And for the most part we agree... Talend, Kettle, Clover, ... won't die overnight. There is a big growth potential in Business Intelligence, but it will be at a much slower pace than expected.
If you want to set up a full blown BI environment (with first year people support) the lowest cost I come to is 1 million euro, with commercial solutions and more realistic estimates at about 4 million euro. Then if you check the number of companies that would be willing to spend that amount of money you will see that the growth will be much slower than expected. by the way, I also have a hunch that estimators use the current commercial prices to predict the growth potential.

Board footer

Talend Contributor Agreement - Talend Website Privacy Policy