You are not logged in.

Unanswered posts

Important! This site has been replaced. All content here is read-only. Please visit our brand-new community at https://community.talend.com/. We look forward to hearing from you there!

#1 2009-01-13 18:23:12

esabot
Talend Team

esabot said:

Error on/Error on getting

Hi,

I found you email on Talend Babili, but I don’t know if you are the right person.

I began to translate in French.
There is a lot of strings in ConnectionInfoTab.logMessage with “Error on”  or  “Error on getting” .
I proposed :
Error on –> Erreur dans
                Error on getting  –>  Erreur d’accès à

But, is it possible to use the same translating for all the  ConnectionInfoTab.logMessage messages?

Thanks

J. DELAUNAY

Follow Talend on Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook.

#2 2009-01-13 18:37:33

esabot
Talend Team

esabot said:

Re: Error on/Error on getting

Hi J.

The email address provided on babili page is actually to be used for technical issues to access the portal.
I'd strongly recommend you (as well as anyone having translation question for Babili) to post on this Forum
Now, regarding your question:

Error on –> Erreur dans
            Error on getting  –>  Erreur d’accès à .

This sounds good to me. Be careful as the context might differ and let this translation be inaccurate.

But, is it possible to use the same translating for all the  ConnectionInfoTab.logMessage messages?

I'm not sure what you actually mean:
- if you are asking if you can translate all instances of the message this way, the answer is yes.
- if you are asking whether we can take this translation into account and propagate the translation wherever it comes up, the answer is: I need to check this but I cannot see any reason it wouldn't work.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question. I'll do my best  to help you.
And thanks for your participation to Talend Babili!!

Elisa

#3 2009-01-14 09:55:29

delaunay
2 posts

delaunay said:

(Of course, the Babili-dedicated forum!  I would have to think of there?  Special thanks to Elisa…)

About my question;
Babili is a simple list of sentences. Our only context information is the Key.
So, I think that all of the “ConnectionInfoTab.logMessage” Keys are used to verbose the same problem for each of the possible connexions.
For example:
- « Error on getMaxCursorNameLength »
- « Error on getMaxIndexLength »
- « Error on getMaxSchemaNameLength»
Of course, we mustn’t translate “getMaxCursorNameLength”,  so “Error on …”  looks like having even the same translation.
Isn’t ?

If I’m right, my question is : What about doing all of this translations in one shoot ?  (Elsewhere than via Babili website)

I'm glad to participate in this adventure

Jérôme

#4 2009-01-14 10:26:38

esabot
Talend Team

esabot said:

Hi Jerome,

We are discovering the obstacles at the same time you are ;-) and indeed we noticed also that we need to get more context. So we are working on translation guidelines, a glossary and a way to better extract  strings from the build files. We'll start by adding the full path information to the file where the string is taken from, so that we know better where the translation will go.

I agree with you that the translated strings that are common to various strings should be automatically propagated in order to maintain consistency throughout the localized strings and avoid extra work. but I still need to check with the dev team as possible this is.

Many thanks for your input and don't hesitate to use up this forum as much as you need!

elisa

#5 2009-01-21 00:04:04

Volker Brehm
1139 posts

Volker Brehm said:

Hi Elisa,

nice to hear from you again. I hope that you are well.

The file/path information would be very helpfully (also sorting for it).
Concerning translation of the same string: 
If the whole string is the same I think in most cases you could use the same translation but my knowledge about translating the property files was that often there are some messages in a context together with different words but handling them in one step would be the best. One example: Often there are several messages which are only different in one word (variable type / negotiation and so on). They should always be translated together. So sorting based on the key (at the same time) should be possible to.

Additional a public glossary and guidelines what be great. Would you like to put them into the Wiki and should I write a initial version (regarding the german translation)?

Bye
Volker

#6 2009-01-21 10:22:28

esabot
Talend Team

esabot said:

Hi Volker!

Long time no hear! I'm fine, thanks, what about you?

I already wrote some guidelines that I will send you shortly, in a separate email.
I'll post them on the wiki (great idea!) also and will put a link on the babili portal towards them.

I hope that we'll be able to implement the filepath soon, but as usual, we're pretty busy here (moving out, btw)...

Also we noticed that the first extract miss quite a lot of strings from the components part. We are currently working on correcting this asap.

Many thanks for your help (as usual)!

Elisa

#7 2009-02-05 16:12:07

delaunay
2 posts

delaunay said:

Hi,
thanks for the file path.
Is it possibe to make a glossary with recommendation for any words like Repository, pooling, etc... ?
Because each of them can be translated in any différent ways...
For example; Repository could be translated by "dépot" or "banque", but i think "banque de modèle" could be better.
What about publishing this glossary on to the web page like (or into) "Guidelines" link.
In france, Property types "Repository" and "Built-in" are translated only for beginners.
Jérôme

#8 2009-02-05 16:31:13

esabot
Talend Team

esabot said:

Hi Jerôme,

The glossary is on track... Should be up online very soon.
Repository is to be translated as Référentiel in French. THis is the word we agreed on internally.
For other languages (except Chinese, as we are encountering some encoding issues) the glossary will be available soon also.

HTH
Elisa

Board footer

Talend Contributor Agreement - Talend Website Privacy Policy