You are not logged in.

Unanswered posts

Important! This site has been replaced. All content here is read-only. Please visit our brand-new community at https://community.talend.com/. We look forward to hearing from you there!

#1 2016-12-06 15:34:13

patgream
24 posts

patgream said:

[resolved] Link between Data Model

Hi,
As I Understand, it's impossible to create a foreign key between two Data Model. In this case, how to link two domain : for example (frequent in big company) a customer can order only a list of referenced product, the order is based on customer product reference (PRODUCT - PRODUCTCUSTOMERREFERENCE - CUSTOMER) ?
Pat

#2 2016-12-14 08:43:22

xdshi
Talend Team

xdshi said:

Re: [resolved] Link between Data Model

Hi,
Have you tried to created two entities in one data model? Your requirement is not very clear for us. Could you please give us more information about your job?
Best regards
Sabrina

What we can do is to make sure that Talend will be your best choice!

#3 2016-12-20 17:10:58

patgream
24 posts

patgream said:

Hi,

Thanks for your response and for your product. Yes i try and of course it works but actually a lots of company are focus on customers : price but also specific product ... In other words all business objects have potentially a link with customer object. In this case with talend approach(no link between domain) i cannot have multiple domain, and it's conceptually a problem.
Best regards
Pat

#4 2016-12-20 17:40:03

rhall_2.0
1251 posts

rhall_2.0 said:

Can you explain what you mean by "I cannot have multiple domain"? There really are very few limitations with Talend and I suspect you can fulfill this requirement. I just don't understand what you are trying to do. Could you give an example maybe?

EDIT: Ignore this. I didn't see that this is an MDM issue and not a DI issue.

Last edited by rhall_2.0 (2016-12-21 10:07:12)

rilhiaSolutionsLogo_0.png

#5 2016-12-21 04:37:48

willm
477 posts

willm said:

patgream wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your response and for your product. Yes i try and of course it works but actually a lots of company are focus on customers : price but also specific product ... In other words all business objects have potentially a link with customer object. In this case with talend approach(no link between domain) i cannot have multiple domain, and it's conceptually a problem.
Best regards
Pat

Hi Pat - unfortunately, that's correct. You can't relate entities/elements across data models. The entities/elements must be within the same data model in Talend MDM. I had a similar situation where we needed to use/reference some common product data in many data models; we ended up creating a separate data model to host this information and use DI jobs to keep the data models in sync.

#6 2016-12-21 09:44:59

patgream
24 posts

patgream said:

willm wrote:
patgream wrote:

Hi,

Best regards
Pat

Hi Pat - unfortunately, that's correct. You can't relate entities/elements across data models. The entities/elements must be within the same data model in Talend MDM. I had a similar situation where we needed to use/reference some common product data in many data models; we ended up creating a separate data model to host this information and use DI jobs to keep the data models in sync.

Thks for your confirmation willm,

#7 2016-12-21 10:20:24

patgream
24 posts

patgream said:

rhall_2.0 wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by "I cannot have multiple domain"? There really are very few limitations with Talend and I suspect you can fulfill this requirement. I just don't understand what you are trying to do. Could you give an example maybe?

Hi rhall_2.0,

Thks for your response. What i try to do is the base of MDM, I try to manage two separate domains : products and customers, except that I have to manage a link between a product and a customer. Very common use case in big company, a customer can just order products which are referenced for him, or you need to attach specific declarations/restrictions (reach, military, quality ...) for a given product and a given customer. Conceptually i need a N relation between Customer and Products and this relation cannot be simply managed across domains.

#8 2016-12-21 12:53:31

willm
477 posts

willm said:

Hi patgream - could you please define 'domain'? I initially thought by domain you meant data model, which as I replied to earlier, can not (thus far) be related in Talend MDM. However if domain is analogous to dimensions or entities, within the same Talend MDM data model, you can relate entities with foreign keys (which I presume from your other post you'd be quite familiar with). You can also apply restrictions or filters as to what a customer can see or do within an entity in the model.
Please advise.

#9 2016-12-21 13:42:07

patgream
24 posts

patgream said:

willm wrote:

Hi patgream - could you please define 'domain'? I initially thought by domain you meant data model, which as I replied to earlier, can not (thus far) be related in Talend MDM. However if domain is analogous to dimensions or entities, within the same Talend MDM data model, you can relate entities with foreign keys (which I presume from your other post you'd be quite familiar with). You can also apply restrictions or filters as to what a customer can see or do within an entity in the model.
Please advise.

Hi Willm,

You are perfectly right, I wrongly associated Domain and Data model, and your previous reply is very clear, they can not (thus far) be related in Talend MDM ...

#10 2016-12-23 12:01:44

patgream
24 posts

patgream said:

willm wrote:

Please advise.

Hi, I finally retrieve the documentation who misled me (see below). Talend documentation clearly link a DataContainer (for me a physical aspect) with a Domain (for me a conceptual aspect). At a conceptual level of MDM, the two items DataContainer and DataModel are very blurry.

https://help.talend.com/display/TalendO … Containers

Talend Studio allows you to persist master data in one or several containers within a single MDM Hub. Data containers are then "partitioned" to help you organize the master data, typically by domains.

Board footer

Talend Contributor Agreement - Talend Website Privacy Policy