You are not logged in.

Unanswered posts

Important! This site has been replaced. All content here is read-only. Please visit our brand-new community at https://community.talend.com/. We look forward to hearing from you there!

#1 2014-03-14 23:38:19

dani_gol
12 posts

dani_gol said:

Improve tMap relationship designer

Hi,

I'm new to this community so first let me say hello. I'm quite interested in talend open studio after I made a quick training. I have made some tests and it is very useful. But I have found a lacking feature; Comparing to microsoft access relationship designer, the tMap designer is terrible when linking foreign keys. It will be very very useful if you could design relationships in a 2D fashion like in access. Right now, having tables stacked one on top of another looks very unprofessional for an ETL tool, besides it is hard to use.

Also, let me say I have found a bug using the drag-&-drop feature. If you open the source's lookup configuration and you drag a field, the windows scrolls badly and you can't reach the end. It looks like the height is wrongly calculated with the configuration opened.

Regards

Last edited by dani_gol (2014-03-14 23:42:12)

#2 2014-03-15 15:18:33

jlolling
3186 posts

jlolling said:

Re: Improve tMap relationship designer

To your first statement: Unlike Access the tMap is not limited to SQL tables. You can join data flows from unlimited sources.
Next the tMap works on the Java code side, therefor it works differently than SQL related tools (called ELT).
I have seen other ETL tools and from my point of view, this is not unprofessional. There are other things I would like to change but not the way to design the mapping.

Your second statement: You are right. You can avoid the dithering if you move to the target column outside of the flow and if you are next to your target column move quick to right and drop it.

Talend Certified working for cimt objects AG in Berlin

#3 2014-03-16 06:15:27

dani_gol
12 posts

dani_gol said:

Re: Improve tMap relationship designer

Even it is not limited to SQL but to a generic input of data (this fact has nothing to do with the suggestion), the way key relations are painted on the screen are, from my point of view, ugly and conterintuitive. As stated before, I'm suggesting to modify the tMap editor in a way that input flows are displayed in a 2D square (the same as components in the job palette) and you put links between their fields (just like microsoft access).

I think the tMap key relationship designer doesn't sell very well right now compared to other software we use in a company I work for. Simply as that.

Board footer

Talend Contributor Agreement - Talend Website Privacy Policy