You are not logged in.

Unanswered posts

Important! This site has been replaced. All content here is read-only. Please visit our brand-new community at https://community.talend.com/. We look forward to hearing from you there!

#1 2014-04-02 22:28:39

ddctf
213 posts

ddctf said:

Built in "Job Outcome Email" function

Hi,

While I totally recognize the need for customized job/error reporting to accommodate different needs...

Having an indicator somewhere within the Run tab that is labelled something like: "Email me the outcome of this job" would be so helpful.

Not only would this:

a) Soften the learning curve for Talend which seems to have so many ways to report on errors and send yourself a notification, none of which seem well documented from what I have seen (mostly scattered forum posts and 3rd party blog posts). Rather, these methods tend to use advanced features like variables and somewhat un-intuitive components

But it would also:

b) Save time and space in the Design, when only something like this is needed, rather than adding and configuring several components each time

And:

c) I believe overall help people use Talend and keep them informed about job successes and failures more effectively (i.e. more people would have access to better job status information in an easier way).

Before I go further, perhaps there is something like this available in the enterprise edition?

This expands from being only about error reporting to also reporting on job outcome.

This may require an interface with more than one option, possibly a drop down box with options similar to this:

Email me whenever:
1. A job encounters an error causing the job to fail
2. A job encounters any error
3. A job completes successfully
4. Email me all job outcome information, including errors if they occur

---

As an alternative to putting this in the Run Job tab (though I think this is where it should live), a new, single component that handles this job could also be effective.

Implicit in this component would be that it occurs at the end of the job; it may not need to be "physically" connected to the job with a connector if it can "listen" for information, as a few of the components are able to do.

Last edited by ddctf (2014-04-02 22:44:52)

#2 2014-04-03 03:55:02

xdshi
Talend Team

xdshi said:

Re: Built in "Job Outcome Email" function

Hi,

With Talend Open Source, it is welcome to open a feature jira issue of DI project on TalendBugTracker, our developer will check it to see if it is feasible.

Best regards
Sabrina

What we can do is to make sure that Talend will be your best choice!

#3 2014-04-03 09:30:26

janhess
1315 posts

janhess said:

Why not set up a joblet to do this?

#4 2014-04-03 09:58:50

esabot
Talend Team

esabot said:

Hi,
Is the use of https://help.talend.com/display/TalendC … /tSendMail too complex?

The reporting and monitoring features are available through Talend Administration Center, which is available with any of the subscription products.
Through TAC, you can add notification https://help.talend.com/display/TalendA … tification based on success or failure of jobs.

Joblets are another way as suggested by janhess. Those are also available with any of the Enterprise/Platform solutions.

Now this feature indeed doesn't exist natively inTAlend Open Studio except through the use of tSendMail, therefore you can submit a new feature request as suggested by xdshi.

Cheers,
Elisa

Follow Talend on Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook.

#5 2014-04-03 17:32:07

ddctf
213 posts

ddctf said:

Hi esabot, to answer your question and provide feedback, yes I have found using tSendMail effectively to be an obstacle, and have not yet been able to achieve what I describe (as is implied by my original post).

Thank you for the information about TAC; looks similar to what I am after (if I ever go the subscription route) smile

Regarding Joblets, are they only available in the paid version as well? I don't see them available in my client

Last edited by ddctf (2014-04-03 17:32:33)

#6 2014-04-04 04:02:07

xdshi
Talend Team

xdshi said:

Hi,

The feature of joblet is only available in Talend Enterprise Subscription Version.
For more details, please refer to TalendHelpCenter:Designing+a+Joblet.

Best regards
Sabrina

What we can do is to make sure that Talend will be your best choice!

#7 2014-04-04 16:41:14

janhess
1315 posts

janhess said:

Use tRunJob --> on subjob error tSendEmail for failure
             |
              --------> on subjob ok tSendEmail for success

Last edited by janhess (2014-04-04 16:41:32)

Board footer

Talend Contributor Agreement - Talend Website Privacy Policy