You are not logged in.

Unanswered posts

Important! This site has been replaced. All content here is read-only. Please visit our brand-new community at https://community.talend.com/. We look forward to hearing from you there!

#1 2013-11-04 16:11:26

pcoffre
785 posts

pcoffre said:

Talend Announces Apache Licensing Changes

Dear Community,

We are proud to announce a transition to a more permissive license, reinforcing Open Source leadership through new contributions. Talend has transitioned to the Apache License for its Talend Open Studio product family.

The first step of the license transition will see a change from the GPL license to the LGPL license for version 5.4 of Talend Open Studio for Data Integration, Talend Open Studio for Data Quality and Talend Open Studio for ESB. A further change to the Apache License will occur in 2014. Talend Open Studio for Big Data has already been provided under the Apache License since its launch.

“We have built Talend on a strong commitment to the openness and collaboration values of open source,” said Bertrand Diard, co-founder and chief strategy officer, Talend. “This license change is a clear sign of our pledge for providing more openness, and removing obstacles to the reuse of our technology in derived works.  Since the introduction of its Apache-based Enterprise Service Bus in 2010, and the launch of the first dedicated big data integration tool in 2012, Talend has been constantly expanding its use of the Apache License, as well as its contributions to the Apache Software Foundation. We are proud of announcing this strategic change.”

A long-time sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation, Talend has been instrumental in fostering open source adoption and providing structure to build successful open source communities. The company’s sponsorship helps to provide organizational, legal and financial support for a broad range of Apache licensed projects.

As a leading provider of Apache-powered software, Talend believes in making a strong investment in the community, currently employing a number of engineers to contribute to many Apache projects, including Apache CXF, Apache Camel, Apache Karaf, Apache ActiveMQ, Apache Santuario, Apache Hadoop, and Apache ACE.

Best,
The Talend Team.

Follow Talend on Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook.
Download and try Talend solutions

#2 2014-01-02 11:49:41

ounger
35 posts

ounger said:

Re: Talend Announces Apache Licensing Changes

Hi,

In Talend, I need to call a stored procedure and have the result sent to an Excel spreadsheet, Am trying to use tMSSqlSP to call procedure, but don't know how to get result set into Xcel or any other file.
Please help.

#3 2014-01-02 12:00:51

pcoffre
785 posts

pcoffre said:

Hi ounger,

Thanks for posting on the TalendForge forum! This is the announcement section and not many community members come to this sub-forum. What I would recommend is to post your issue where the community congregates, on this section, for example: http://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewforum.php?id=2

Best,
Pcoffre.

Follow Talend on Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook.
Download and try Talend solutions

#4 2016-08-31 08:51:50

hsekine

hsekine said:

Hi,

I have a question about the license of Talend Open Studio.

If I now use the older (GPL or LGPL licensed) version of Talend Open Studio,
do I have to comply with the Apache License instead of GPL/LGPL ?
Or, must I comply with GPL or LGPL as before?

Regards,
Hiroyuki Sekine

#5 2016-08-31 14:03:33

mhirt
Talend Team

mhirt said:

Hi Hiroyuki, 
As a user, you must accept the terms of Apache v2 license when you start Talend Open Studio.
Best

#6 2016-09-01 08:43:02

hsekine

hsekine said:

Hi mhirt,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

What if I am an application developer as well as a user?
For example, when I modify the previous (GPL/LGPL licensed) Talend Open Studio and distribute the program, do I have to comply with GPL/LGPL or Apache license?

If GPL/LGPL is applied, I must distribute the modified source files to user.
But if Apache license is applied, the distribution of source files is not required.

In other words, for Talend Open Studio, dose the Apache license have retroactive effect to the previous version?

Regards,
Hiroyuki Sekine

#7 2016-09-01 15:15:10

mhirt
Talend Team

mhirt said:

When you modify version X of a product, then your modified source code and the binaries has to be available and distributed under a license which is compatible with the license of this product.
In summary, 
version before 5.4 : GPLv2
version 5.4 and 5.5, LGPL
version 5.6 and upper : Apache v2.

Best.

#8 2016-09-02 00:34:01

hsekine

hsekine said:

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation.
I understood about the license well.